Chris's Blog

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Tablet PC Capstone at the UW

I happened to be perusing the web for some interesting content when I happened to stumble upon the following Channel9 video:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=179753

This video was apparently recorded during one of my lectures last quarter when I was taking the Tablet PC Capstone (CSE 481B) at the University of Washington. Had I known that Robert Scoble was in the classroom doing the recording, I would have tried to bribe my way into that video!

It was actually very interesting to have an interactive classroom with tablet PCs. As Professor Anderson says in the video, it's very cool to have your answer to a question displayed for all to see after we've all done our submissions - unless he explained how wrong your answer was in front of everyone! It was all anonymous though, so it wasn't a big deal. I had a few days where I was providing awesome answers that showed up on the big screen. ;-)

Overall, this was a pretty sweet class. We had to come up with a cool application that would make use of the Tablet PC technology and give several presentations of the progress we were making as the weeks went by. Some of the projects included a digital sports playbook, the foundations of a real-time strategy game (like Warcraft) that relied on pen input, a program that transformed text into your own handwriting (that one was my favorite), and a few others. My group's project was actually a collaborative mapping application where users create shared annotations on a map in real time. This is also the project we are working on for the ImagineCup competition. Not only did our project make use of Tablet PC functionality, but it was also written to use WinFX, the new development platform for Windows Vista.

Speaking of ImagineCup, we just received word that our project has just qualified to be in the Final Round of the competition for our region! Wish us luck as we travel across the bridge to the Microsoft campus to compete against other teams from across the country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home